Monday, October 3, 2011

OWH Sketch 89 + embossing with stylus

I had the best time on Saturday at Angela's Happy Stamper in Reston, VA, taking two classes with Karen Lockhart of Lockhart Stamps!! She's a great artist and teacher. The first was a class in using colored pencils; the second was on etching or embossing with a stylus. First you stamp the image; after it dries you etch whatever design you want onto the image or background with a stylus (Karen recommends the stylus made by Royal & Langnickel [sp?]). Then you color over the image with Prismacolor pencils and the effect is beautiful. On my card for Sketch 89 above, I hope you can see a little wavy pattern I etched in the background, plus the little lines on the flowers. I love this Lockhart stamp, because it can be used year round in different color palettes! I had trouble with my ribbon fraying on the ends (any tips welcome!) so I added the little red and white star buttons to cover the fraying, hehe. It gives a more finished look and the little stars kinda look like the flowers!
Here's another card I made from Saturday's class using another Lockhart stamp; here I etched a checkerboard into the red apple before coloring. I need practice, but this is a really fun technique. Karen also taught us about Zentangle, which is a kind of very artful doodling; you can draw patterns with black pen and then color over with Prismacolors.
What a fun afternoon, and inspiring to learn something new! Thanks for stopping by.

15 comments:

Linda said...

Yummy cards! Great colors. Love the patterns! TFS!!!

Donna said...

Sherry,
I love this technique.Your cards are beautiful.I really like the stars
on the first card.The cross-hatching on the second one really makes it pop!To stop ribbon from fraying I either use Fray Check or Scotch Quick-Dry Adhesive(very sparingly)to the edges.
Thank you for sharing!

Kathryn said...

Sherry,

Thanks for sharing the techniques you learned in your class. I love how the middle apple turned out and how you combined the gingham and polka dot patterns in that card.

Look for Fray Check at the craft store. You just dip the cut ends of ribbon in and let it dry.

Paula S. said...

These both came out beautifully Sherry! Thanks for sharing the techniques and the samples. It's always fun to learn something new. :)

Judie said...

Great cards Sherry, love the colors and the images. TFS

Judie

Anonymous said...

I love both cards. Especially the apple! Maybe you could do a tut for OWH? Pat K.

Holly Iossa (Homeschool Homestead) said...

Thank you for sharing the technique you learned. They are both beautiful. I love the apples on the second one. I love apple pictures.

airbornewife said...

B-E-A-U-tiful cards!!! love the coloring.. thanks so much for sharing ~ Pam

Kathy V. said...

Sherry, you did an outstanding job with these! I LOVE Karen's stamps and am always amazed how beautiful they are when colored. The etching technique is really cool!

By the way, I remember someone saying they used FrayCheck on their ribbon before they cut and it solved the fraying problem. Worth try?

Cora said...

The coloring on your apples is gorgeous. Did you use a blending pencil or the odorlous mineral spirits or what? Would love to know. The technique with the stylus sure looks nice. I need some classes with pencils. Mine just sit since I got my Copics.

Julie said...

What a cool technique, Sherry! Thanks for sharing it with us! So glad you joined us for this week's OWH Stars & Stamps Sketch Challenge!

Dixie Cochran said...

What fun classes you got to take!! Good for you! And your cards are just lovely! The apples are my favorite!

Sherry Hickey said...

Cora, I didn't use a blender or spirits, just the Prismacolor pencils. Karen pointed out that the colors can become waxy if you use the colorless blender too much. I did my entire children's book in Prismacolors, so I've had a lot of experience with them.

Laurel Weeks said...

Very fresh and fun. Thanks for sharing!

Karen Lockhart said...

Oh my goodness. These images just pop off of the card! Beautiful work, here, and in class.